Spring onion and floss roll always my frequent bake for hubby. Instead of sweet swiss roll, I love to make into a savoury version with some meat floss, spring onion and sesame seeds,of course drizzle with some mayonnaise and chillie sauce and there you go. Hope you like this sharing.
• 4 egg yolks
• 10g castor sugar
• 60g Liddells lactose free milk ( Or any milk)
• 40g vegetable oil, or melted butter
• 25g corn flour , 75g cake flour
• 4 egg whites
• 40g castor sugar
• Some pork or chicken floss(vegetarian soy meat floss for vegetarian option), some chopped spring onions
• 1 tsp sesame seeds, some mayonnaise and chillie sauce
1. Line a 10X14’ baking tray with baking paper. Lightly oil the tray then line with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Sift the corn flour and cake flours together.
3. Beat egg yolks and 10g sugar until frothy. Add in oil and milk, mix well.
4. Mix in flours and mix to smooth consistency. Set aside.
5. Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl until frothy, then slowly add in castor sugar(40g), continued beating until soft peak formed. Sprinkled with 1 tsp of sesame seeds.
6. Gently fold in 1/3 meringue from step (5) into yolk-flour mixture. Then fold in remaining meringue in 2 additions.(do not over fold otherwise deflate the air pockets).
7. Sprinkled with chopped spring onion onto the tray, pour in batter, smooth the top, Knock out air pockets.Bake at 180C for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown(adjust your own oven)
8. Remove the swiss roll out from baking tray.Peel off the baking paper.
9. Brush one layer mayonnaise onto the peeled side or spring onion side,sprinkled with floss.Lightly press in. Roll the swiss roll together with baking paper. Wrap nicely.Keep in fridge for few hours.
10. Unwrap, then trim both edges. Decorate with more mayonnaise, chillie sauce and floss. Slice and serve.
This is the first concept in mind,but look so blank and un-appetizing in my picture.So I decided to add spring onion as garnish,and became like below:
One piece green onion on the swiss roll?Gosh! Look so out of portion? Then decided to chop into few parts and garnish. See, decorating my food is the toughest job, of course taking pictures are my forever thing to learn. Come, Let’s laugh together!
1)Ensure your eggs are cold.
2)How to retain the brown side of swiss roll?
Once cake is baked, remove from oven immediately, lay onto a new sheet of baking paper(with the brown side faces down)
Peel off the top baking paper from the sponge. (now you have two sheets paper on both sides.)Flip it over. Take out the new baking paper away from brown side, allow to release some hot steam for few minutes, the cover and allow to cool down. This way, you won’t damage the skin.
3)what if your oven is way too hot??
If your oven is way too hot even bake on 180C will cause crack while rolling, try bake at 170C for 20 – 22minutes or 150 for 25 minutes,depending on individual oven, watch it closely.
4)when is the best time to roll your Swiss roll??
Try to spread your filling such as mayonnaise/floss while the roll is slightly cool down to lightly warm to touch,almost to your body temperature. This way, the roll might be flexible for rolling. Chances for your swiss roll to crack when you allow the roll to cool down completely or while it is still too warm to handle.
5)The eggs that I am using are medium size which suitable for baking tray size of 10″x14″.If your eggs are in small size, try to use 5 eggs(size S) in this recipe for a baking tray of 10″ x14″.(this is my own preference)
Thank you for your visit and welcome to leave your comments here ^_^