My husband has been asking for a classic baked cheese cake.Since I bought this 6 packs cream cheese at good deal, thinking what to bake with it.
Classic baked cheese is something heavy in cheese.I remembered that he is the reason i started to eat pizza and cheese cake. From how he grew up, classic cheese cake is always his favourite from his mom.
I want to make classic cheese cake with some twist. So added some fresh strawberry coulis into the cake.
Let’s get started shall we?
2 components you need:
- Strawberry coulis
- cheese cake
- 70g McVITIES digestive biscuits (or any digestive biscuits)
- 30g marie biscuits
- 50g Western Star unsalted butter, melted ( or any unsalted butter)
- 250g Philadelphia cream cheese, softened in room temperature( or any cream cheese)
- 120g castor sugar
- 200g Vaalia natural yoghurt /or Jalna greek yoghurt ( or any natural or greek yoghurt)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp cake flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 200ml Bulla whipping cream / pouring cream( or any whipping or pouring cream)
- some fresh strawberries for garnish
How to make cheesecake :
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 8″ round (base) spring-form cake pan.
- Process the cookies until resembles fine crumbs. Add in melted butter and mix well.
- Lightly oil the cake pan with some butter, press mixture over base and sides of pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until sets.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Then add in yoghurt and mix until smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined.
- Lastly add in vanilla , cake flour then lemon juice and whipping cream. Strain the mixture until no lump is found. Pour 1/3 of mixture into prepared cake pan,then pour in the strawberry coulis. Pour in the remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Bake at 180C for 50-60minutes until cake is set but still wobbly in the middle.
- Allow to cool in oven with door ajar(a) for an hour. Remove from oven and cool completely. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Before un-moulding, run a knife around the edges of cake.
- Decorate with some fresh strawberry. Brush with some mirror glaze /clear glaze/nappage(b)(if you have).Serve.
(a)Ajar : something that is slightly open. Oven door ajar means oven door slightly open to allow hot temperature flows out slowly to prevent drastic temperature changes.
(b) Nappage : apricot glaze is a baking technique. Jam made from apricots is diluted with water to form a transparent, slightly apricot-colored glaze.You can find in any bakery store. Sometimes they called it neutral or mirror glaze.
- You can just bake a classic plain cheese cake without strawberry coulis for your own preference.
- Red wine added is optional,you can remove it from recipe.
- You can turn this “baked cheesecake” recipe into ” New York cheesecake” by few changes:
a) replace yoghurt with sour cream, equal amount.
b) replace cake flour with corn flour, equal amount
c) New York cheese cake require water bath method: wrap aluminium foil around the base of cake pan, bake at 200c for 30 minutes until golden brown on
top, then turn down heat to 160c for another 30 minutes.You can leave in the oven with door ajar for 30-60 minutes by removing the water bath.
d) classic baked cheesecake does not bake by using water bath,but i personal wrap with aluminium foil for preventing oil flowing out from the base mixture.You can always remove the aluminium foil and just bake it straight in the oven.