I remembered how Chocolate Banana mousse cake enticed me once I tasted .The velvety and chocolatey mousse combined with the soft cottony sponge. I love mousse cake.I think sponge and mousse are heavenly compatible to each other,one cannot lost the other. The banana definitely is one of the main flavour to the entire cake.Can’t complaint.This is how I fall in love to mousse cake,madly in love.
Chocolate banana cake is classic, everyone has their way of doing it. I have been baking this couple of times in my life evolving from using instant sponge cake mix(17 years old) to making it from scratch (now).And this is another version of it. Hope you all like this sharing ^_^
Let’s get started, shall we?
Components you need:
- Chocolate sponge
- Torched banana/ fresh banana
- Coffee chocolate round disc (optional)
- Chocolate mousse
- Chocolate glacage/glaze
- 2 egg yolk
- 10g castor sugar
- 15g salad oil
- 30ml Liddells lactose free milk ( or any milk)
- 15g cake flour
- 10g Hershey unsweetened cocoa powder ( or any cocoa powder)
- 2 egg white
- drop of lemon juice/white vinegar
- 20g castor sugar
1) Sifted flour and cocoa powder. Line a 7″ cake pan with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180C.
2)Whisk yolk and sugar together to well combine.
3)Add in oil and milk.Mix well.
4)Add in sifted flours in 2 additions, mix to well combined.
5)Beat egg whites and a drop of vinegar in a clean bowl to foamy stage, add in sugar slowly , continued beating to stiff peak.
6)Scoop out one-third of meringue(a) to mix with yolk-mixture at step (4).Fold in remaining meringue to batter in 2 additions to well combine.
7)Bake: 180C, 10-15 minutes depending on individual oven.
8)Remove cake from oven to cool down. Remove baking paper and cut into slightly smaller than 6″ in diameter.( We are going to use 6″ cake ring, so we need to cut into a round sponge slightly smaller than 6″ in diameter)
(a)what is meringue?
Meringue means egg whites and castor sugar are beaten to airy texture with alot of air pockets trapped inside . Usually to double or tripled of volume.
- 1 and half banana, (depending on size, you can use more if you love banana, the more the better)
- some brown sugar(optional)
- torched gun
1)Peel off bananas and halve it.
2)Sprinkle with some brown sugar onto each banana.(ignore this step if prefer no sugar)
3)Caramelize each banana with torch.Set aside for later use.
Coffee Chocolate round disc: (optional)
- some coffee chocolate button or some baking chocolate.
1)Melt some of the compound chocolate, and lightly spread on a sheet of baking paper. Put another sheet of baking paper ont op of the chocolate,and using a tray to lay on top(reduce the chocolate disc wobbles).Keep in refrigerate until set
2)When the chocolate is set, using a 5″ round cutter,dip the round cutter into warm water, wipe it to dry. Cut a round disc out.
- 300ml Bulla whipping cream( or any whipping cream)
- 140g Cadbury baking dark chocolate ( or any baking dark chocolate)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of sugar
1)Melt the chocolate over a pot of simmering water(do not allow water to touch the bowl of chocolate)
2)Beat eggs and sugar in a pot of simmering water(do not allow the water touches the bowl of egg mixture). Keep beating the egg and sugar until fluffy and pale or ribbon stage(a)[Step 3 in picture below]
3)Fold the egg mixture step (2) into melted chocolate at step (1).
4)In a clean bowl: beat whipping cream until soft peak formed.
5)Fold whipped cream into egg-chocolate mixture at step (3) in 2 additions until a velvety chocolate mousse achieved. Pour into a piping bag.
(a)What is ribbon stage?
A term referring to the thickness of a whipped/cooked batter (typically with eggs)or cream.When the batter is lifted it should fall in ribbons or smooth sheets that will hold their shape momentarily before falling into the batter.
1)Place 6″ cake ring onto a baking tray lined with baking paper underneath.
2)Place the chocolate sponge, and pipe chocolate mousse onto the sponge to cover the sponge.
3)Place the coffee-chocolate round disc on (Optional if you dont want to add ),please jump to step (4).
4)Arrange torched banana slices all over the mousse.
5)Cover with remaining chocolate mousse.
6)Smooth the top and allow to freeze until set for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 260g Bulla cream ( or any cream)
- 180g sugar
- 60g Hershey unsweetened cocoa powder (Or any cocoa powder)
- 6g gelatin leaves (soak in cold water till soften)
1)In a pot:add in cream, sugar, cocoa powder(sifted),keep cooking and stirring under medium heat.
2)After the mixture came to boil and cocoa powder has dissolved.Remove from heat.
3)Add in the soaked gelatin sheet(discard the water),stir till dissolved.
4)Strain the mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.Stirring occasionally to avoid skin form.
- It is best to cool down the chocolate glaze till 28-33C to glaze the mousse(frozen).
- Stir the glaze now and then before glazing to prevent skin forming.
- You can chill the glaze overnight to rest before using.The glaze will be jelly like texture form.
- Carefully warm up with bain-marie or microwave until liquid and no trace of lump.(Remember to cool down to the optimum temperature when glazing)
1)Take out mousse cake from freezer, remove the cake ring by using hair blower to gently heat up all around cake ring for few seconds.
2)Place mousse cake onto a cooling rack sitting above a baking tray.
3)Pour the chocolate glacage all over the mousse.Allow to drip excess.
4) Decorate however you like.
1.If you prefer slicing the bananas in smaller pieces, then arrange around the mousse, of course you can do that.
2.Do not sprinkle sugar onto sliced banana if preferred less sweet.
3.If you have no torch gun, you can just arrange sliced banana.
4. This cake is preferably eaten fresh with the bananas inside.
5.Be generous and quick when glazing your mousse cake so it does not have air bubbles trap into your glaze which resulting wrinkles on the glaze.
6.Eliminate the coffee chocolate round disc from the recipe if preferred without it.
Hope you enjoy this another version of chocolate banana.
Thank you for dropping by and deeply appreciate your comments ^_^