@makes 10 burger buns
- 350g bread flour/bakers flour/strong flour/High gluten flour
- 180g eggs, beaten
- 40g castor sugar
- 75g Liddells Lactose free milk ( or any full cream milk)
- 8g instant dry yeast
- 100g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 10g table salt
- 25g Liddells lactose free milk ( or any full cream milk)
- 25g egg, beaten
- Combine eggs and milk together. Set aside for later use.
- Combine eggs,castor sugar, milk and dry yeast into a mixing bowl.By using a dough hook, mix these ingredients on low speed until sugar has dissolved. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in bread flour and salt in 2 additions at low speed until all well combined.
- The dough is very fluid-like at this stage, just keep kneading until the dough comes together, increase to medium speed. Throw in the soften butter and continue kneading until well incorporated.
- Continue kneading the sticky dough into smooth dough which dough pulls cleanly from the sides of the bowl, it might takes 25 minutes.
- Once kneaded , remove from mixing bowl and transfer to any container which lightly grease with cooking oil.
- Lightly press and distribute the dough evenly to the container. Cover with cling wrap and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 1- 2 hours until the dough is cold or overnight.
- Once the dough is cold, the dough should not be sticky but firmer.
How to make ring molds for the burger:
There burger bun dough is pretty soft, and it cannot remain the shape after proofing and baking. Therefore,to avoid this and to keep the buns round as burger shape, it is advisable to bake in ring molds.If you have these exact ring molds, feel free to use it. Otherwise, here is how to make our DIY ring molds with few tools.
1)Get a piece of used A4 size paper,fold in 36cm length x 1 cm width on the longest side of the paper 3 times to get a strip.
2)Then place into a slightly bigger rectangular aluminium foil and make 3 foldings to make a long strip.
3)Make a diameter of 10cm ring from the strip by joining 2 ends together, then staple it down.Repeat this for 9 more ring molds.
9. Divide dough into 10 balls(roughly 80g per portion) by cutting out with scissors or using a scraper to cut the dough for much easier task, then roll into round and smooth balls.
10. Once all buns are formed, transfer quickly to the prepared pan , placing each bun in the center of each ring molds. Keep everything loosely covered with damp towel.Lightly flatten the buns into burger bun shapes.
12. Before baking, prepare the egg wash.Brush the egg wash onto each buns nicely, then sprinkle with some white and black sesame seeds.
13. Bake the buns at preheated oven of 175C for 15-18 minutes , depending on individual oven.
14. Once brioche is done or reach golden brown colour, transfer the tray of brioche out of the oven to a cooling rack. Allow to cool down completely before remove from the ring molds to retain the shape.
15. You can serve fresh brioche with just butter and jam, or with any fillings you like.
- Once all buns are formed, burst any air bubbles that have formed. Spray lightly with oil and flatten them slightly to make a burger bun shape.
- For better results: To increase the humidity of the oven especially during cold weather,you can place a pan of hot water under the trays of brioche dough when first put into the oven, allow the buns to expand to fill up the ring molds , then remove the water from oven to finish off the baking.
- You can store brioche in a container for 2 days at room temperature,some said it can turn the brioche bun to a softer texture.You can store the baked brioche in freezer too up to 1 month.Bring the frozen buns to room temperature if needed and pan fry with some oil for crispy bun or without oil at all.
- These buttery brioche can be served cold too as cold sandwich.
Thanks for your visit and comment and deeply appreciated.