Japanese croquette is a small breadcrumbed fried food roll consisting : mashed potatoes and/ or ground meat(beef,chicken or pork), fish and vegetables, sometimes with a filling such as sauteed onions. The croquette is usually shaped into a cylinder, or oval shape,then bring to deep fried and named as one of the Japanese fast food.Japanese also enjoy this snack by putting into a bun.
So I make wholemeal bun with this vegetarian fried croquette. It tastes good when serve hot or cold too.
Hope you enjoy this simple sharing ^_^
- 250g bread flour / strong flour/ bakers flour
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp instant oats (optional:I love to have some oats into my homemade bun)
- 30g Western Star butter ( or any butter)
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 egg
- 210 ml Liddells lactose free milk ( full cream milk )
- some sesame seeds or some shredded cheese(optional)
1) Mix all ingredients together except butter. ( reserve 20 ml of milk)
2) Knead all ingredients into a dough,then mix in the butter in 2 additions until it comes together.
3) Slowly pour in the remaining milk and continued kneading until a smooth dough formed.
4) To check if the dough is done, take out some dough, and lightly stretch your dough into a thin skin(membrane) without having any holes form. The thinner of the membrane can be stretched and light can see through, the better the dough.
5) Once done, take out the dough and give it a good knead into big ball. Spray some water onto dough to prevent drying. Allow to proof to double in size by covering with damp towel.
6) Once the dough is done, release the air by kneading it. Divide into 8 portion, roll into balls. Rest for 15 minutes by covering with damp towel.
7) Using rolling pin, flatten the dough into a long tear drop shape, slowly roll into swiss roll shape. Seal properly become a long sausage bun.
8) Place onto prepared tray with baking paper. Allow to proof to double size again.
9) Once done, brush with egg wash and drizzle with sesame seeds and some with shredded cheese.
10) Bake for 12-15 minutes at 190C until golden brown.
- 2-3 potatoes
- Half red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- plain flour
- Egg, beaten
- Japanese breadcrumb or panko
1) Peel skin off from potatoes, cut into cubes . Chop the onions.
2) Place the potatoes into a pot of cold water with some salt into together. Bring to boil until potatoes are cooked through.
3) Drain the water and place cooked potatoes into a bowl, mash it with fork or masher. Ensure no more chunks.
4) Sauté the chopped onion with some oil until golden brown.
5) Add in the onions into mash potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
6) Roll into small little 7-8 round disc.
7) Roll the potato disc onto plain flour, then coat with some beaten eggs, finally coat with breadcrumb evenly. Repeat to the remaining of potatoes disc.
8) Deep fry until golden brown.
1) Lightly make a small cut in the middle of each bun.
2) Brush inside bun with some Japanese mayonnaise.
3) Arrange some lettuce and sliced cucumber inside(any vegetables you like), and finally half the potato croquette into two parts. Place onto the bun. Drizzle with your favourite sauce: mayonnaise, ketchup or chillie sauce. Serve.
1)This is one of the japanese snack with the bun.Normally, Japanese loves to make into meat croquette with minced beef or pork, but I try to keep this vegetarian.
2)If the weather in the kitchen is cold, remember to put a cup of warm water into the area where you proof your dough. It helps to speed up the proofing time.
3)The taste of the potato croquette is amazing with the homemade wholemeal bun.
4)Just drizzle with some Japanese mayonnaise with some fresh salad, and there is your first croquette bun,vegetarian style,tastes as good too.
5)Of course, you can sandwich the wholemeal bun with any filling you like such as: ham, chicken,tuna, salmon basically anything you adore.
Hope you enjoy this homemade bun.
Thank you fro dropping by and love to hear from your feedback. ^_^