If you wonder what is the difference between Japanese cotton cheese cake and this sour cream cotton cake?
I personally think, sour cream cotton cake :
- has light and refreshing flavour compared to cotton cheese cake
- sour cream is cheaper in cost
- I find by using sour cream, I can melt the butter and sour cream at ease without worrying the lumps compared to cream cheese requires milk helps in dissolving evenly,and sometimes cream cheese creates so much lump that required the straining method
- The texture is light and cottony as well
To sum up, when you cannot find cream cheese, do consider a lighter and cheaper substitution for cream cheese that is: sour cream. You just cannot spot the difference in taste.It tastes as good and refreshing too. Light, cottony and soft…what else could you have ask for more.Agree? Thank you for nodding your head with me. 😛
- 50g Western Star unsalted butter ( or any unsalted butter)
- 200g Bulla sour cream (full cream/light version) or any sour cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 40g cake flour, sifted
- 25g corn flour,sifted
- 4 egg whites (medium size)
- 75g castor sugar
- 1/2 lemon juice (Optional)
- 1/4tsp cream of tartar
1. Melt butter and sour cream first over a double boiler. Cool the mixture. Beat in egg yolks(one by one)mix well.Then mix in lemon juice. Fold in the flour and corn flour and mix well.
2. In a clean and grease-free bowl:Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Then slowly add in the sugar and continued beating until medium peaks form( between soft and firm peak)
3.Fold in meringue(a) from step (2) into flour mixture in 3 additions. Pour into a 7-inch round removable cake pan (you can lightly grease and line the bottom and sides of the pan with baking paper but I just oil the pan only). Knock out extra air pockets on the table bench.
4. Bake batter by using steam bake method at 150-160C for 50-60 minutes,or until skewer inserted in the middle and comes out clean ,depending on individual oven.( Place a tray at bottom rack in the oven.Pour in cold water onto the tray once placed the cake pan in the middle rack of the oven.)
5.Once done, remove the water tray from oven. Let door ajar(b) for 15 minutes to allow cake cools down little. Remove the cake immediately from oven and Do Not invert(I want to keep the cake with smooth top, OR you prefer to invert onto a wire rack and that’s is okay as well).Allow to cool down completely. Store the cake into refrigerator for few hours for better taste.
(a)What is meringue?
Meringue means egg whites and castor sugar are beaten to airy texture with alot of air pockets trapped inside.Usually to double or tripled of volume.
Open your oven door just 3 fingers gap to allow hot air release to avoid drastic changes in temperature.Big changes in temperature sometimes could cause your cake collapse, with a curvy waistline.
- Before pushing the tray into the oven, remember to tap it onto the table a few times. This is so that you wouldn’t end up with air pockets in the cake.
- You can use oil paper to lay around the cake pan,since I am lazy so I sprayed some oil to the pan.Cake still can remove easily.
- The reason I do not use water bath as I find water bath method tend to produce soggy bottom for the cake. Steam bake method may as well create cottony and soft texture too.
- You can use 6″ square cake pan too. If you cannot find removable cake pan, just use normal round or square 6″cake pan are optional. The removable cake pan helps in remove the cake easily without inverting the cake while normal cake pan requires inverting the cake onto cooling rack.I want to have smooth cake top. So just work the way you want.
- Every oven acts differently.If you start to find cracks on your cake(before getting worse), reduce the temperature roughly 10 to 15 Celsius. For example: you can try bake the cake batter for 140C for 60-80 minutes, until inserted skewer in the middle, it comes out clean.
- If the water is drying out, please add more cold water into the tray. If you find your oven is way too hot (If only you start seeing cake cracks, add more ice cubes into the water tray)
- If you do not like the lemon flavour, remove the lemon juice because I want the refreshing lemony flavour in this cake.
Before leaving,I always want to share some insight and information.Sometimes I find recipes books do not share the proper way of creating different egg whites (meringue) which really hard for us to understand.
Difference between Meringue of SOFT PEAK , MEDIUM PEAK & FIRM PEAK:
After numerous times of beating egg whites and sugar(meringue) to different stages: Soft peak, medium peak and firm peak, I find many people fairly know how to differentiate the stages of the meringue.Without the right peak, you might not able to create air in your cake and resulting numerous problems for your cake.
A) SOFT PEAK: 湿性蛋白霜
After reached bubbly and foamy meringue, the first stage the egg whites turn into when beating on high speed. When it is done, the egg white is not runny, but hold the shapes with the peak will curl 40% and it will not drop .
B) MEDIUM PEAK:中性蛋白霜
the 2nd stage of the meringue, after the soft peak. When you continue beating the meringue after soft peak, the peak will curl about 20% when lifting the beater. This stage will be before reaching a firm pointed peak or stiff peaked.
C) FIRM PEAK (a lso known as STIFF Peak):硬性蛋白霜或挺直蛋白霜
The 3rd stage after medium peak of the meringue. The meringue will form a stiff or firm and pointed peak when you lift up the meringue after beating on high speed. It will not drop, no curling down.
[pictures for the meringue here are outsourced from google]
Hope you enjoy the sharing and feel free to leave your wonderful feedbacks. ^_^