Tiramisu is an Italian dessert typically made from Lady Fingers, espresso coffee, mascarpone cheese, eggs, cream, sugar, marsala wine, cocoa and rum. The Italian name tiramisù means “pick-me-up” , referring to the two caffeine-containing ingredients, espresso and cocoa.
There are many modified versions of tiramisu. Using sponge fingers are the popular version. You can either buy the store bought finger or you can make those fingers too. Since I want to make everything from scratch, simple and still retained the classic flavour. I replace the sponge finger with chocolate sponge, something familiar and easy to make.
There are 2 components in this dessert you need to prepare and you will get your tiramisu in no time.(everything is from scratch)
Chocolate sponge cake ( base)
Let’s get started, shall we?
Components you need:
- 1 slice of 7” x 7” chocolate sponge cake
- Classic cheese filling
Chocolate Sponge: (produces 2 pieces of 7” x 7” cake sponge)
- 5 egg (I used small size or 4 large eggs), separate yolks and whites
- 20g castor sugar
- 40g castor sugar
- 50g Liddells Lactose free full cream milk( or any milk )
- 30g oil
- 20g cocoa powder, sifted
- 60g cake flour, sifted
- 20g corn flour, sifted
- 2 tsp lemon juice/1 tsp white vinegar
1) Separate the eggs into yolks and whites. Sifted the flours. Line a 10” x 14” cake pan with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2) Mix egg yolks with 20g sugar. Mix in oil and milk. Mix in flours to well combine.
3) Beat egg whites and lemon juice until frothy. Then slowly add in sugar (40g) in 2 additions,continued beating to soft peak. Fold the meringue(a) into yolk mixture in 2 additions until well combine.
4) Pour batter into prepared pan, smooth the top and knock the pan for rid extra air pocket.
5) Bake for 12-15 minutes, or skewer inserted comes out clean,depending individual oven.
6) Remove the cake immediately from baking tray.Let it cool down completely.Once cool down , peel off baking paper and cut into 7” x 7” piece of sponge.
(a)what is meringue?
Meringue means egg whites and castor sugar are beaten to airy texture with alot of air pockets trapped inside.Usually to double or tripled of volume.
- 4 egg yolks
- 80g castor sugar
- ¼ cup coffee liqueur( I used Tia Maria or any coffee liqueur you like)-optional
- 250g Philadelphia cream cheese ( Or you can use mascarpone cheese)
- 300g Bullla whipping cream ( or any brand of dairy whipping cream)
- Hershey unsweetened Cocoa powder( or any unsweetened cocoa powder) for dusting
1) Whisk egg yolks and sugar over double boiler on low heat( over a pot of simmering water) until all sugar dissolved. Keep whisking it otherwise egg yolks might cook.
2) Once sugar dissolved, remove from heat and add in coffee liqueur. Beat with electric hand mixer until thicken and pale.
3) In other bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy and smooth.
4) Add in yolk mixture from step (2) into cheese. Mix well.
5) In a bowl: beat whipping cream to firm peak. Gently fold whipped cream into cheese mixture.Set aside.
1) Place the 7” x7” chocolate sponge onto a same size square cake ring. Place this onto a prepared baking tray with baking paper.
2) Brush the sponge with ¼ cup of coffee liqueur.
3) Pour the tiramisu filling onto the sponge until full. Smooth the top and store in freezer for 4 hours or over night.
4) Decorate and dust with cocoa powder. Slice and serve.
1) You can use any chocolate sponge you like from the market or any recipe you prefer to be the base. This recipe can give you 2 pieces of chocolate sponge of size 7 “ x 7”:
What can you do with the extra chocolate sponge?
a) Make a swiss roll out of it by spreading some tiramisu filling and roll.
b) Make 2 tiramisu cake of 7” x 7” by adjusting the tiramisu filling as below:
- 6 egg yolks,
- 1 cup castor sugar,
- some coffee liqueur ,
- 400g cream cheese,
- 360ml whipping cream
2) You can replace the sponge with store bought sponge fingers too. Just soak with coffee mixture( 1 tbsp of sugar + ½ tsp of coffee powder into 1/2cup of hot water, let it cool down before soak with the sponge finger)
3) When you heat the egg yolks with sugar over double boiler, remember not to allow the water touches the bowl with yolk mixture.Remember to whisk constantly until you touches the mixture ,there is no more sugar crystals and it is warm to your hand). Remove pan and keep beating it.
4) Remove the liqueur if preferred alcohol free.
Liqueur choices can use Kahlua or any coffee liqueur you like.
Hope you all enjoy this sharing.