A tres leches cake, or pastel de tres leches (from Spanish, “three milks cake”), or pan tres leches (“three milks bread”), is a sponge cake—in some recipes, a butter cake—soaked in three kinds of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and whole milk.
The cake is well known in many parts of Latin America.
The idea for creating a cake soaked in a liquid is most likely of European origin.It is milky and definitely different from usual sponge cake you eat. My husband and I love it.
Happy Mothers day ^_^
- 1) Tres Leches Cake (adapted from Marth Stewart)
- 2) Raspberry Jam
- 3) Earl Grey Mousse (Light Version)
- 4) Italian Meringue,torched
Tres Leches Cake :(adapted from Martha Stewart)
Directions on how to make tres leches cake:
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Line baking paper on a 30cmX30cm. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar on high until pale and thick, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla and beat to combine. Gradually add flour mixture and fold to combine. With a rubber spatula, fold in melted butter until incorporated. Transfer batter to dish and bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes(depending on individual oven), rotating dish halfway through.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milks. Poke warm cake all over with a wooden skewer or toothpick, then pour milk mixture over top and let cool abit, then place into fridge for 1 hour
1.Remove the soaked tres Leches cake sponge from fridge.
2.Cut out 4 equal slices of round shape from the cake.(6″ cake ring I used to cut the cake)
3.Place the first layer of cake onto the 6″cake ring,spread generous of Raspberry jam onto the cake.
4.Place the 2nd soaked Tres Leches on top of the raspberry jam.
5.Place 3rd soaked Tres Leches sponge, spread with raspberry jam.Top up the 4th Tres Leches sponge.
6.Allow to chill in fridge, while continue the next component(Earl Grey mousse)
Earl Grey Mousse(Light version):
- Remove the Tres Leches layers cake out from fridge.
- Pipe some mousse onto the base of a 7″ cake ring.
- Place in the Tres Leches layers cake onto the mousse.
- Full up the gap with all the mousse.Smoothen the top of the mousse with a palatte knife.
- Allow the cake to chill in freezer for at least 6 hours until completely hardened.(I chilled it overnight)
Part 3: Assemble:
1.Remove the chilled mousse from freezer.
2.Torch the side of the cake ring for few seconds.
3.Remove the mousse out of cake ring.
4.Pipe the meringue onto the mousse.
5.Garnish with fruits you like.
6.Torch the meringue.
7.Allow the cake to thaw in the fridge for few hours.Serve.
– This cake originally consist of tres Leches cake( 3 milk sponge) which soaked in 3 types of milk,topped up with just fresh cream. Sometimes also eaten with fruits that you like.
– You can make it simple without the italian meringue (Torched italian meringue was my another idea)
-Decorate however you want because this is your cake now. ^_^