Components you need:
- Chocolate Joconde Cake
- Sweetened Red Bean
- Matcha Mousse(green tea mousse)
- Vanilla Crème Chantilly
- 6 egg yolks ( cold )
- 30g Castor sugar
- 45g vegetable oil
- 45ml water or milk
- 23g almond powder
- 23g of cocoa powder
- 6 egg whites ( Cold )
- ½ tsp + ¼ tsp lemon juice
- 60g castor sugar
1) Sift all the flours, preheat oven to 170C.
2) Hand whisk egg yolks and sugar to just combine.
3) Add in oil and milk into egg-sugar mixture. Then, fold in almond powder and cocoa powder in 2 additions. ( Do not over whisk otherwise gluten formed )
4) In a clean mixing bowl: Whisk egg white to foamy stage, add in lemon juice.Add in sugar slowly in two additions and continue whisk to reach stiff peak.
5) Fold in 1/3 of meringue to yolk-mixture to lighten up slightly. Fold in the remaining of meringue to well combine.( Be gentle and quick, otherwise deflating the air)
6) Pour the batter in to prepared 35cm X 24 cm baking tray with lined baking paper. Bake for 15-17 minutes at 170C,depending on your oven.
7) Remove from oven, cool down and set aside.
Note: I used a 7’ square ring mould. You can adjust the thickness of your joconde as you like or any size of the cake ring. My thickness of joconde seems little too thin,so the recipe above is good for thicker of the joconde.
Sweetened Red Bean
- 3 tbsp of red bean
- 2 tsp of castor sugar (Adjustable if you want sweeter)
- 1 cup of water
1)Microwave all the ingredients above till the red bean is soft to your texture. Set side and allow to cool.
Note: You can go to any Asian/Japanese groceries to look for a can of sweetened red bean ,not the paste, but the individual red bean. Can bean might be sweeter.
- 600ml of whip cream
- 1 Tbsp of Green tea powder
- ½ TBSP of green tea paste
- 1/8 tsp of green colouring (Optional)
- 3-5 Tbsp castor sugar (Adjustable,increase amount if want sweeter)
- 8g of gelatine leaves (soak in cold water)
1)Soak gelatine leaves in cold water till soften up, squeeze out excess water. Place the gelatine over bain marie. Allow the gelatine leaves to melt slowly, stirring once or twice.
2)Using electric mixer: Mix all the ingredients above until soft peak, leave in fridge.
3) Once melted gelatine melted and ready, after approximately 30 seconds, remove from bain marie and add into the whipped cream and fold gently until incorporated.Set aside in fridge for later.
Vanilla Crème Chantilly
- 200ml of whip cream
- 3 -4 tsp of icing sugar
- A drop of vanilla essence
1)Whip all the ingredients to stiff peak. Pour into a piping bag with round nozzle. And put into the fridge.
Note: This is prepared right after the chilled mousse cake overnight is taken out from fridge to garnish the last bit.
1) Cut out the chocolate joconde to your desire size to fit into a 7’’ square cake ring into 2 layers.
2) Place the first layer of joconde onto the cake ring.
3) Pipe in or pour in the matcha mousse onto the joconde. Sprinkle the sweetened red bean onto the mousse and ensure it is cover by mousse properly.
4) Repeat step (2) and (3).
5) Put the mousse cake in the freezer to chill for 5 hours above or overnight(I prefer to freeze overnight.)
6) Remove the mousse cake from freezer, with slightly blow the heat with blowtorch.( I used hot air hair dryer to finish this task, just blow for few seconds on every sides)
7) Trim the edges to achieve a clear layering on your mousse cake if you want(Optional: you can skip this step if you already have a good layering)
8) Remove the mousse cake from ring and pipe the crème however you desire. It is your cake, design with your imagination.
9) Final touch: dust the cake with green tea powder when you about to serve this cake.
(reason I suggested this because If I dust this earlier and store in fridge,the matcha powder tend to moisten by the crème. The appearance is not as good as I prefer.)
10) Slice and serve. Enjoy your effort.