After Chinese New Year, Valentines is around the corner. Hoping to catch up with you all the wonderful human being with this simple Japanese Swiss Roll.
Let me share all the love with the world.
Happy Valentines Day(an early one).
What to make for this valentines 2014?What about dark chocolate sponge sandwich with vanilla and raspberry mousse that melt into your mouth easily?
Let’s get started?Shall we?
Components you need:
- Raspberry Mousse
- Vanilla mousse
- Chocolate sponge
- 3 tbsp raspberry puree
- ¼ tsp organic natural red food colouring
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 400g Bulla whipping cream( or any dairy whipping cream)
- A love shape cookie cutter
- Baking paper lined on a baking tray size of 27cm X 18cm
1) Blend fresh raspberry into puree. Keep 3 tbsp puree to keep aside. Add in ¼ tsp food colouring. Mix to well combine.
2) In a clean mixing bowl, start to beat the whipping cream, sugar and raspberry puree mixture from step (1) into firm peak.
3) Pour the mousse into a prepared baking pan. Allow to set in freezer for 4 hours or more until hardened.
4) Once hardened, cut out individual love shape mousse from the love shape cookie cutter.
5) Stack each mousse piece on top of each other ,enough to make roughly 25cm long of love mousse. You have to be quick otherwise will melt. Once it is done, put back into freezer to allow to set for another 1 hour.
- 400g Bulla whipping cream ( or any dairy whipping cream)
- 1 1/4 tbsp castor sugar ( adjust to your own sweetness )
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
1) In a clean mixing bowl, beat all the ingredients into medium peak. Pour into a piping bag.
- 30cm X 25cm of an acetate sheet
- 8cm in diameter of a round cookie cutter
1) Make a cylinder cone by rolling the acetate sheet which enough to fit into the round cookie cutter, and tape it tight.
2) Place the the cylinder acetate into the round cookie cutter.
3) Line some baking paper onto a baking tray, place the cookie butter with the acetate cylinder on it.
4) Pipe in half of the vanilla mousse into the cylinder.
5) Remove the raspberry mousse from freezer, slowly place into the vanilla mousse , try to put in the middle of the mousse. Push the raspberry mousse until some of the vanilla mousse is pushing upwards.
6) Fill up the rest of the vanilla mousse and smooth the top. ( do not worry it will cover the raspberry mousse. We will slice it once the swiss roll is done.
- 30g Liddells lactose free milk( or any milk)
- 10g oil
- 3 large eggs , room temperature
- 70g castor sugar
- 50g cake flour
- 10g Hershey unsweetened dark cocoa powder( or any coca powder)
1) Line a 34cm X 25cm of a baking pan with baking paper. Make sure there is not crease.
2) Sift the cake flour and cocoa powder for 3 times.
3) Mix oil and milk together.
4) Beat eggs and sugar until fluffy and pale, we called it ribbon stage. ( When you lift up your beater and the batter able to make a shape of 8 only after few seconds.)
5) Fold in cake flour and cocoa powder in 2 additions. Mix well but gently folding it with plastic spatula.
6) Scoop out some batter into oil mixture. Mix well, then pour back into flour batter, and fold gentle to well combine. (Do not fold it too much otherwise deflate the air pockets in the batter because cocoa powder has higher content of fat, it tends to deflate the air pocket more readily, so keep it gently.)
7) Pour the cake batter into prepared baking tray. Tap the tray 10 times to remove air pockets. Smooth the top. Bake at preheated oven of 180C for 12- 13 minutes, depending on individual oven.
8) Once sponge is done, remove the cake from tray. Place the cake onto a new sheet of baking paper with the golden brown side faced down. Remove the baking paper which attached to the another side immediately, and cover with another sheet of new baking paper. Allow to cool down completely.
1) Trim the four edges of the chocolate sponge into size of 30cm X 25cm or to the size able to wrap the cylinder mousse later. Allow the sponge sits on top of the baking paper.
2) Beat 2 tbsp of whipping cream. Set side.
3) Remove the mousse out from freezer. Lightly blow hot air around the mousse for few seconds, peel of the acetate sheet from round cutter.
4) Spread the 1 tbsp of the whipping cream earlier from step (2) all over the trimmed chocolate sponge.
5) Place the cylinder mousse onto the middle of the sponge, and wrap the mousse with the sponge around with the help of baking paper. Tape it nicely so it stays properly. If you want, you can wrap one more layer of aluminium foil over the roll to double secured the shape. Leave in freezer for 4 hours or overnight .
6) Remove roll from freezer and let it defroze half way.Unwrap and slice.( This way, shape still remain) Serve and enjoy.
1) Always ensure the eggs are in room temperature before beating with sugar. Or you can put the refrigerated eggs into a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
2) If you cannot manage to make a long mousse in first go, I highly suggest you to prepare two same size round cake cutter, prepare two acetate cylinders. So you can easily stack the love shape mousse without worrying as well as you can place the stacked love shape mousse easily into vanilla mousse.
3) This swiss roll will be pretty big in size. If you can find smaller love shape, you can try to reduce the entire recipe into half providing you can find smaller cake pans.
4) The reason to beat 2 tbsp of whipping cream and spread all over one side of the sponge because the hardened cylinder mousse unable to stick onto the sponge,we need extra cream to help in doing this otherwise sponge will not hold onto the mousse properly.
5) If you cannot find acetate sheet, you can try cutting any frizzy drink bottle such as coke, sprite . Ensure the bottle is smooth on the surface, just cut the middle part out to be your cylinder.
6) If you do not like raspberry flavor, you can substitute with strawberry puree too.
7) The reason to cover both side of the freshly baked chocolate sponge with new baking paper because firstly to prevent the top golden brown side to dry up. Secondly, if you keep the older baking paper stuck onto the cake while cooling down, this side of the cake will crease and shrink during the cooling process.
Enjoy! Wishing all the love birds and loved one Happy Valentines Day! Muah~~~
My dear friends, stay strong and be truthful to yourself. Love yourself completely.
Surround with all the one who love you for who you are!