Husband wanted to have soup for dinner one day, I immediately get some fresh sliced mushroom and baguette home. This recipe is shared by one of my friends, and since then, i tried keep this recipe for long time. To me, simple yet tasty ,of course healthy too, less cream inside which is good. I love mushroom soup from canned but it is no longer in my “healthy booklist”.
Why not try this if you want healthy mushroom soup. ^_^
What kind of mushroom good for the soup?
Agaricus bisporus—known variously when white as button mushroom, whict mushroom, champaign mushroom whereas then brown type would be named as italian mushroom, swiss brown mushroom and chesnut mushroom.
Benefit of these fungus:
- Heart health benefits: show that button mushrooms reduce inflammation in arterial cells and prevent white blood cells from sticking to arterial wall.
- Immune system benefits: the polysaccharide content of the mushrooms that is responsible for their immune-boosting ability.
- Anticancer benefits: button mushrooms have been found effective at treating breast, colon and prostate cancers.
- Nutritional benefits: mushrooms contain high amounts of copper, which is needed to produce blood cells and maintain heart health. Additional nutrients are vitamins C, D and B; and the minerals selenium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and zinc.
Mushroom Soup: adapted by Tracy Low recipe
For 8 Person
- 40g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 400g fresh mushroom, sliced
- 40g flour
- 1500ml chicken stock ( I reduced to 1000ml)
- 200ml cream ( lactose -free cream or any cream will do)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1) Melt butter, sauté chopped onion and garlic till soften, add in mushroom, continued sauté for 5 minutes.
2) Sprinkle flour over and mix another 5 minutes .
3) Add in chicken stock, keep stirring. Allow to bring to boil to thicken a little.
4) Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
5) Pour the soup into a blender, blend till smooth consistency achieved.
6) Pour back to a pot, bring back to boil. Off heat. Pour in the cream and mix well.
- If you prefer creamier soup, you can increase cream to 500ml and 700ml chicken stock. If you prefer healthy version, try replace cream by milk.
- This soup tastes better if using real chicken stock, otherwise you can dissolve chicken stock cube into hot water to achieve instant chicken stock.
- If you prefer more texture, you can bake some old bread(cut into cubes) until crisp,and sprinkle over the soup.
This is a kind of open sandwich from Italy, the bread can be baguette or sour bread.The bread is sliced open and grilled. Topping can be variation: tomato, vegetables, beans, cured meat or cheese. The most commonly used outside of Italy consisting of basil, fresh tomato, garlic ,onion with cheese. It serves as a snack or appetizer.
- 1 fresh tomato
- 1 clove of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium size baguette
- Fresh basil
1) Sliced baguette diagonally, about 1 cm thick.
2) Lightly rub with a cut of garlic , and brush both sides generously with olive oil (I used good butter )
3) Place the bread under a hot grill, or a hot frypan, and cook till golden brown on each side.
How to make the Tomato salsa:
1) Wash fresh tomato, remove cores and seeds, cut into cubes.
2) Chopped fresh basil.
3) Season with salt ,pepper, some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Throw in the basil.
4) Spoon in the salsa onto the freshly grilled bread.
- If you prefer no balsamic vinegar, welcome to add white vinegar or even lemon juice.
- Welcome to add some chopped red onion into the salsa if preferred some heat from the red onion.
- If you cannot find fresh basil, you can add some dried basil into the salsa.
- Some people added some cheese into the salsa, but since lactose intolerant problem husband and I have, we try to reduce any milk product as much as I can.
Happy Trying. ^_^
Today’s Word:No matter what anybody says to you negatively, you can overturn what they say by speaking positively because you have more power over your life than anybody else does. -by Joyce Meyer