I am searching for the simple cotton cake that I can eat just on its own,without any decor or cream. I want something not dry to our throat. There are many types of cotton cakes that are really dry. Every time it touches my throat, some liquid is required to wash away the rest. After recommended by a fantastic blogger, I have to try this recipe with some additional changes.
I baked this 3 times:One is given to friend, second one is for trying out with friends and last one is for our own consumption. This cake is extremely airy, light, moist and cottony.
Adapted by Jane’s Corner:
- 40g butter
- 40g low protein flour, 10g corn flour ( Sifted all flour)
- 50g milk (warm up little)
- 4 egg yolks, (leave at room temperature for few hours)
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 4 egg whites
- 50g fine sugar
- Melt butter and add in flour while still warm.Warm up the milk about 30 seconds at high heat (800watts) in microwave, then stir in honey to dissolve completely.
- Whisk egg yolks and slowly add in milk mixture, mix well.
- Mixed (2) in (1).
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form. After mixing well, add the sugar in three batches, about one-third at a time, and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until soft peak forms.
- Spoon out 1/3 of the beaten egg whites and fold into the egg mixture. Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Pour batter into 3 aluminium baking trays (2cm x 5cm). ( I poured into a 7 inch removable cake pan).Tap the cake pan on bench for removing air bubbles,so the cake will not turn out with some holes in it.
- Bake cakes into preheated oven 170C for about 8 mins by using water bath. After baking the first 8 minutes, change to 150C and continue baking for additional 20 mins until cooked through. A needle comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Remove the water bath immediately. Allow the cake to sit inside the oven with oven door ajar (using a kitchen glove to allow the oven door open slightly ,just enough to allow the temperature to go down slowly but not to cool down rapidly. Reason: to avoid the cake collapses.)
- Once cooled down for 40 minutes, remove the cake from oven and invert to cool completely.
The picture below:As you can see,the thickness is unappealing and slightly thinner.I mistakenly used a bigger cake ring to contain the cake batter.But the texture is marvelous especially after sitting in the fridge to cool down thoroughly. My guests and both of us enjoyed so much that we can finished the entire cake.
I am not a person who is attempting to showcase that all my cakes are top notch. Indeed this cake is simple,cheap and delicate.
- This cake is extremely unique with its airy, light and cottony texture. To achieve a lighter texture, I personally added some corn flour.
- Another reason for achieving the moist but not dry texture:Something got to do with the beaten egg whites. I presumed by beating to soft peak tends to create moist texture instead of stiff peak.
- By using water bath, it helps to create the extra moist without drying-to-mouth texture.
- Remove the water bath after cake is baked, to ensure the cake does not have soggy base.
- Using a aluminium removable cake pan helps to prevent cake from collapsing compared to use a non-stick removable cake pan.
- Avoid opening the oven door in midst of baking is to prevent top of the cake become wrinkled.
- This cake tastes marvelous after sitting in the refrigerator. ( my guests, husband and I enjoyed it thoroughly )
Happy Trying ^_^
Disclaimer: It is a blessing for you to like my recipe sharing.It is a wonderful courtesy for you acknowledge the source of content and I will reciprocate.It is not a crime but it just plainly to see how much courtesy you have.Thank you for consideration.
Do not doubt to ask if you have any hesitation.^_^ It will be great if you could acknowledge the efforts and time of one who applied here for your comfort reading without passing the source of content by neglecting the contributor (that would be me ^_^).Thank you for you kind visit.
This correspondence is Without Prejudice unless otherwise stated.